Thursday, August 21, 2008

Lessons learned

wow--so much to talk about since last I posted :-)

First...today is mine and Neil's 4 year anniversary!  Each year at this time, I am always amazed at what God has done in our lives--how He manages to do so much in one little year is beyond my comprehension.  It does remind me not to focus too much on daily bumps in the road because I get to see a small snapshot of what can be done in a year--and can't even imagine a lifetime.

I'm also reminded of how blessed I am to call the most amazing man in the world my husband.  I should remind myself of this more frequently--and I am making a promise to do so this year.  I guess I should sum it all up by saying that my Neil William is a man who has allowed me to wholly admire, respect and honor him without any fear.  And, if you ask me...that's pretty BIG.

SECOND...never--NEVER NEVER NEVER will I again attempt to take a single dose of any medicine while tending to a 1 1/2 year old who is cranky and needy.  I was in desperate need of Tylenol yesterday evening and reached for the bottle, grabbed two...swallowed them and then proceeded to slip into my "running gear".  As I was leaving the house, I told Neil that I felt kind of funny--just a little jittery or something.  I drove to meet my dad to do our weekly hill repeats and felt really strange the entire way there.  I told dad I was feeling really weird--secretly hoping he'd take it easy on me.  Not a chance...he said a couple of hills would knock it out of me...he was right...except not in  a good way (I had to pull over to throw up on the way home..YUCK).  We proceeded to add two more hill repeats to our repertoire.  By the seventh repeat I was really feeling beyond yucky.  I think I swallowed puke at least twice--my fingers were sort of tingly and all I wanted to do was sleep.  Despite the puke breath and tingly fingers, I finished really strong and I was proud that I made it through.

Once I got home, I went to the medicine cabinet to inspect my bottle of Tylenol.  Ummm yeah...it was Tylenol PM...that's right...TYLENOL PM!!!  No wonder I had to stop and throw up on my way home from running. Yikes!  I have three different bottles of Tylenol--each looks identical except the PM has blue on it.  You don't really see a small strip of blue when you're focus is on your fussy child, that's for sure.  Thank God (really) that I didn't take four!  

FINALLY :-)
Classes started back.  Most of you probably know that I teach Political Science at the local community college.  This semester my class size increased by 40%...there's only one empty seat!  And all of my students seem really eager--and quite a few of them are very passionate.  So, I am super excited to see how this semester takes shape.


4 comments:

Matt Rollins said...

GOOD LORD.... I had to stop and puke a couple times on the way through your blog! Happy anniversary... Beth and I sure do appreciate you both, we love having you guys around.... thanks for being such dear friends! Enjoy your day together (or at least the weekend)

Michelle said...

AWWW! Congratulations! Did you all do anything special? Also bummer on the tylenol episode that sounds awful. I once took medicine before a run that made me sick... except I was in MEXICO and when I ran a couple miles down the beach, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get back. In my stupor, I actually decided the best thing to do would be to hide behind a bush so no one would see me looking like I was about to go into labor and wait until it passed. In retrospect, that was probably pretty stupid because what if something had gone wrong and I was out of it and no one could find me because I was hiding in the BUSHES?! LOLOLOLOL

Natasha said...

Oh my goodness Linds...I'm glad you are okay. Your blog makes me think of a song that I keep on my IPOD that has words that say something like - "What doesn't kill me will make me stronger" - I think it's a hip/hop song and very motivating on those big hills. I'm proud of you for struggling through your run...you are AWESOME!!

And, yes, CONGRATULATIONS to you and Neil on your 4th anniversary. God sure does know how to set people up doesn't he??? His plan for you two (well...you three) is working beautifully. It's so much fun to think about what the future for your family holds...

Love ya Linds...see you on Monday!!

The Beaver Bunch said...

Okay, I accidentally gave my Mother-in-law to be Tylenol PM the day of our Rehearsal Dinner. It truly was a mistake and now, we (or at least Luke and I) laugh about it. She was pretty ticked.

Anyway, congrats on the anniversary! Hope you are doing well!