Friday, April 3, 2009

Best day ever

So I think I just celebrated my best birthday ever....

Most years, I look back and I promise that I'll start spending more QUIET time, start spending more quality time with family, start exercising more....drink less wine...stop smoking cigars with my hubby because its neither (a) attractive--though some men may argue otherwise (b) healthy....and I hate having a vice.  THIS year...I looked back and was proud that I found running,--and thus more quiet time...quality time with my dad...I still have a glass of wine occasionally--but only if its good wine....and to the dismay of my husband, I no longer smoke cigars on a weekly basis--or at all for that matter (gotta keep those lungs at full capacity).  

SO one of my birthday gifts this year was an early morning run with my dad.  I've been training for a half marathon and my miles have been kind of crazy.  Tuesday was going to be an easy and enjoyable 5-6 miles.  Dad and I had a blast.  Jerry was going to join us (he shares his birthday with me and his love of running), but didn't make it.  He did, however, drive 15 minutes to drop off a birthday card to me that just made my heart swell.  I realized that I'm getting a little sentimental as I get older--that what really means the most to me are unexpected efforts by people to make me feel special.  Jerry made me feel special that morning, whether he intended to or not.

After our run, I rushed home and showered...then snuggled with Layla for a while (one of my new favorite hobbies).  She has a new found love of snuggling and I am thrilled to oblige.  Nothing does more to slow me down than a request by my little one to snuggle.  I instantly forget my "to-do" list entirely and am happy to spend an hour in the bed...she has this way of just staring right at me...no words...then a huge giggle.  I love it.  

My sweet Neil took us for coffee and a muffin (muffin for Layla--I had lemon and fresh butter biscotti--YUM) at a sweet little coffee shop with an amazing garden and a little yellow Adirondack swing.  Afterwards, Neil and I dropped Layla off at my parents for a round of intense spoiling, while we rushed off to Winston to play.  I love being able to play with my husband...I'm challenging myself to find time to play more with Neil...even though that means being more creative because we can't just run off to Winston or Charlotte or Chapel Hill every weekend.    I'll keep you guys updated :-)

Another thing I'm working on this year...taking time to listen and watch.  I sometimes get rushed and hurried.  Running (and spending an hour or so with only my breath as a soundtrack) has slowed me down a lot...but I still need some work.  I tend focus on the 10 minutes ahead of me rather than the "right now".  So this is what I think I'm going to do...I think I'm going to photograph something  each day that I look at so often its become ordinary (or maybe that's too ambitious...we'll see) .  My challenge is going to be to photograph it in a way that makes it extraordinary.  YIKES...this may only last a week...HA!


3 comments:

Natasha said...

Great blog Lindsey! I'm so glad that your birthday was perfect...you definitely deserve it. I'm so proud of you for accomplishing what you set your mind to...you've always been good at that. Your dedication to meet your goals are an inspiration to me and many others...I love you bunches Lupe! See you on Wednesday!

Dad said...

Great job Lindsey,quiet time is so vital for a busy life. I am excited to see what the new year holds but let's take it one breath at a time.I love you!!!!

Sabine, La Marquise des anges said...

Can't believe i missed it ... happy birthday .. joyeux anniversaire !!
your lindsay-rodney run sounds like wonderful. what a good idea. we definitely have to take the time to share this kind of moments. moments we have to cherish ... your day sounds like perfect ...