Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Run 4 Revolution


Glad I caught your attention with the title :-)

So what is a revolution....
Derived from the Latin word "revolutio", revolution means "a turn around". I like that. And you all know I love running. What most of you may not know about me is that I have had this ache in my heart, for YEARS, for those sweet little innocent children (over a million of them) all over the world who fall victim to sex trafficking--children who are ripped from their homes and sold into forced prostitution, some as young as 4!

Without getting into to much of a back story, one of my great friends (who many of you know), Lindy Thompson, contacted me several weeks ago regarding a burden that had been on her heart. She wanted to find a way to combine running (a passion of hers) and her desire to help the the millions of children that I mentioned above. And wow...after a few emails--okay so close to 100 (some long...some very short---she's a missionary in Kenya so I've found that African Internet requires A LOT of patience) Run 4 Revolution was born. Oddly enough, we both have been reading some of the same books and have had something stirred in us to actively support ONE specific organization that addresses human trafficking like no other organization we've found. Who would have thought! Its like the perfect storm of "passions" really!

SO, Lindy and I are starting what we hope will be a monster of an organization that works like a worldwide track club where members sign up to run races and raise money for the International Justice Mission's effort with human trafficking under the banner of Run 4 Revolution. If you have not heard of the International Justice Mission, please take some time to check them out. If you haven't met my dear friend Lindy...please check out her blog here.

Adalei and I will be running the Ardmore 5K in Winston Salem on October 17th to raise money---wanna contribute to Run 4 Revolution's efforts even if you can't run....leave me a comment expressing your interest and I'll get you details on how to contribute to one of the best causes I know....seeking justice for children sold into forced prostitution.

I hope you all can tell I am beside myself with excitement. I can't wait to see how God uses this...I will be sure to let you all know once the website if up and running. Lindy and I just couldn't keep it to ourselves any longer!

In the meantime, some other ways you can help...

~Educate yourselves on human trafficking
~Read books on human trafficking. I recommend "Terrify No More" by Gary Haugen
~Pray about joining R4R- EMAIL US if you would like to learn how to get started or get involved.
~Help us get the word out
~Tell your friends who run or want to get started
~Most importantly, start running/walking several minutes a day. Use that time to focus on praying for these victims (I LOVE this one)
~And stay tuned as the next few posts reveal more about how you can help

8 comments:

AnniePat said...

very cool, lindsey & lindy...

Only Servants Ministries said...

WAHOOO!! I seriously got sweaty palms just reading this. My heart is pounding with excitement!! (could have something to do with my shot of espresso too)

Raising the Rollins' said...

super excited about all of this...can't wait to see what all God unfolds as feet pound the pavement...

Natasha said...

I love this idea and can't wait to run one of the fundraising races. This will give some motivation to get back on the pavement as soon as baby Luke enters the world. What a blessing you and Lindy are!!

Michelle said...

wow, cool! so i guess this was your big news? sounds like an awesome idea and i can't wait to hear more about how it is developing.

oh- and yes, i have a bella band, but i haven't used it yet, partly because i can still button my pants, and partly because it seems awkward? to have your pants unbuttoned with it on, i feel like it's going to need constant adjustment and knowing me i'd be walking around with it riding up and my undies hanging out... not cool.

The Beaver Bunch said...

I'm running a 25K tomorrow afternoon, and I'd love to...Oh....wait...

NOT.

I'm not so much into running (um, like anyone within a 100 yard radius couldn't tell that), but I'm TOTALLY into supporting you guys. Maybe I'll take up walking or jaulking or something.

this, that and the other.... said...

Linds, I am so excited about and support what you and Lindy are doing. I know it is a cause you have had a heart for. Sharing God's love and making a difference in the lives of others is what life is all about.

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ~Anne Frank

Many Blessings on your journey.

Anonymous said...

Lindsey, I'm SO excited about this! I can't wait to be a part of what God wants to do through this incredible ministry. Noah's excited, too! :)
-Carmen