Thursday, December 11, 2008

Last post...

I wasn't going to post any more until after the marathon on Saturday...but I really felt like I needed and wanted to say thanks to my support system...

I have really been blessed with some amazing friends....some of whom I also call my family.  I've had moments during these past few months where I've thought this marathon thing is a ridiculous endeavor.  It has required a lot of time and a lot of discipline for just a couple of minutes of glory.  I am stubborn...I am driven.  Sometimes during this process, I've worried that those qualities may have ticked off all of those who love me and have witnessed my moodiness (my husband has called me "The Mood" for three days now) and seemingly selfish behavior.  My dad did warn me when I mentioned to him that I'd like to run a marathon that it would require me to be a little selfish with my time...something that I RARELY do.  

BUT...I was reminded this week that I haven't managed to isolate everyone :-)

**The GRAND thank you goes to my dad...but I'll post about that on Sunday...

**My sweet mom continues to love on my little Layla while I'm out running.  She has done this for months without the first complaint and without making me feel guilty.  She puts out drinks for dad and I on some of our long runs and she always has me a goody bag of snacks on Saturday mornings.  But more importantly, she has lent me her husband for 7 months.  Thanks mom...at least you'll get your trip to Boston now :-)

**I opened my mailbox the other day and saw an envelope with some very familiar handwriting on it...handwriting that made me smile so big that my cheeks hurt.  One of my best friends in the world took time out of her CRAZY schedule to write me one of the most thoughtful letters I've gotten in a long time.  I feel so blessed to call this girl my friend...and I definitely don't deserve all of her kind words.  That little letter provided more encouragement than I've experienced in a while.  Thanks Toddy....

**Several times over the past few weeks, I've gotten the sweetest emails from my second mom (some call these women "mother-in-laws" but that just sounds so distant).  She's asked me more than once what I needed...she's expressed interest in my runs...she's unknowingly given me HUGE ego boosts by complimenting my discipline...and she's let me know often that she is proud of me ..she also bought me some super comfy lucky running socks.  I think she's just as anxious as I am for Saturday...which is really sweet.

**My sister (or sister-in-law...whatever) sent me the most amazing email yesterday with a very well thought out YouTube list of video encouragement that included a nice little Rocky clip.  My personal favorite is attached below.  She has recently started running and I HOPE HOPE HOPE that I can gradually ease her into running a half marathon with me sometime.  She's actually doing really well already...so you never know.  I may be dragging her up the mountain in the near future :-)




**One of my most favorite people in the whole world...my auntie...my mother's twin...was excited beyond belief to keep Layla on Saturday during the marathon.  You can't even begin to understand how great that makes me feel to see her so visibly excited to spend time with my Layla--and Layla just adores her.  She sent me a  little email today which included one of the best compliments I've been given.  She told me how she admired me for all my hard work and accomplishments (which believe me--they're mostly very small)...but the biggest one was how I mother Layla...HOW SWEET.  

Okay...so back to sitting around some more and letting all this nervous energy build.  Oh how I'd like to go out and run tonight...then again...my perfectly wonderful husband has told me that the one thing that would make HIM so happy tonight was if he could run me a bath and take care of the dishes...He definitely swept me off my feet with that one :-)  I picked a good one, huh?  Thanks...again, love.  

OH PS--
Look forward to a new blog coming in January or February.  I've got new venture of sorts cooking in the oven but I don't want to show it off until its all done.  YIKES...no...I'm not pregnant...HA...whew...scared some people, huh?

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Hey!! Good luck with your race tomorrow! You are going to rock it and yes you are a superstar, most def. Can't wait to hear all about it, i'm going to be feverishly clicking on the refresh button till you post!

AnniePat said...

I'll be thinking about you in the morning! You are going to do so awesome. Oh, and you definitely would not be wanting to run any marathons if you were preggers, I bet...haha!!

Raising the Rollins' said...

I've been thinking of you today Linds. I couldn't be prouder of you...and ALL of your many accomplishments. We'll just add this one to the list. You're probably running as I type...and burning way much more calories than I am -HA! Love you and thinking of you with each step...and stride...

Nick and Megan said...

Goooood luckkkkkk!!! I know you'll kick butt. :-D

Natasha said...

Linds..I am out of town thinking about how you must be feeling right now having run your first marathon. I am also anxiously awaiting the phone call from you when I get to hear your excitement. I'm sure you were AWESOME!! I wish I could have been there. Thanks for giving me a shout out in your blog - you deserve every ounce of the encouragement I have given you...you can return that encouragement to me as I begin training again!!

I look forward to reading your blog tomorrow so I can read about your experience as well as find out what you have up your sleeve. :)

Love ya bunches Linds...can't wait to talk to you!!